I know this is the time of year for prospective students to be really crunching down and looking at schools to continue their education. In fact, I even got an e-mail from a prospective student! Let me tell you how excited I was to be able to impart some words of advice….very excited!!
But, seriously. Why Michigan/Ann Arbor?
Note: some reasons are facetious but true and some are to be taken seriously.
1. The University of Michigan’s School of Public Health is ranked 5th in the Nation.
2. The building just finished undergoing construction/renovation (it is seriously nice).
3. There are seminars and events all the time.
4. The classes are so neat! They are hard/time consuming, but very interesting and stimulating. There is a required seminar component (for Environmental Health Sciences, anyway) which is awesome because you get to hear about all sorts of research.
5. We just had three 65 F days in a row. I got to wear sandals in November.
6. We have Zingerman’s. Nothing more needs to be said on that subject.
8. There are all sorts of programs offered, both degree and non-degree. I didn’t even know that some of these degrees existed.
9. The faculty have a wide range of expertise and research interests. They are also really nice and willing to talk to you, so please contact them if you’re interested in their research/want to know more!
10. There are lots of opportunities and (some) requirements to do community and international work which is great. There’s nothing like putting all that knowledge to use!
Bonus: Ann Arbor is awesome.
We have our downsides, of course, but if you’re looking for top-notch education and a great town (with beautiful summers!!), look no further.