Hello Everyone –
My name is Andy Mychkovsky and I am an incoming HMP student. When asked to blog I accepted, mainly to repay the graces from last year’s posters. Now I understand this won’t help anyone if everything is sugarcoated, so I will make this as candid as possible. Debate is encouraged, as long as it’s carried out in a respectful manner. Also, if you find something interesting or relevant that you would like elaborated, I will do my best to respond promptly.
Following graduation from Grand Valley State University, I fortuitously landed a position with the Ann Arbor based consulting firm, Blue Cottage Consulting. Our goal is to transform healthcare one project at a time. We primarily do visioning, strategy, operations and facility planning in healthcare systems across North America. If interested, I have added a link to our website here. There is honestly too much to describe this time around, but would be willing to speak further if demand exists.
Frankly, I chose the University of Michigan because I believed it would attract the highest level of talent. My goal was to surround myself with the most passionate, talented, intelligent and innovative colleagues imaginable for this degree.
Here are my expectations for the upcoming year:
- I expect to learn more and work harder this year than I have in any previous calendar year.
- I expect to know each one of my classmates on a level far deeper than just name, Alma Mater, profession and career interests.
- I expect Michigan football to have a winning season.
- I expect the professors to challenge students to think “outside the box” in class discussion through use of Socratic Method or well positioned questions.
- I expect professors to never just read straight from a PowerPoint unless absolutely necessary (within reason).
- I expect professors to incorporate specific work/industry experience into their teachings.
- I expect alumni/current students to be open (within reason) to informational interviews, friendly meet-and-greets, etc.
- I expect to snag a highly competitive summer internship, whatever that may be.
- I expect to have a great year.
“High achievement always takes place in the framework of high expectation.” – Charles Kettering.
With only a month left before school starts, I wish everyone a fantastic August. I look forward to seeing what the rest of the year has to offer, Go Blue!
Andy Mychkovsky is a first year HMP student at the School of Public Health.